With summer winding down, it's time to start thinking about what to pack for work lunches and how to get back into the healthy lifestyle that may have lost momentum over the summer.
A healthy lunch (like breakfast and supper) includes 3 components – ¼ of the meal is a grain/starch, ½ of the meal is a fruit and/or vegetable and the last ¼ of the meal is a source of protein. Combine all 3 for a well balanced, healthy meal. And keep it simple, no need for fancy.
Try these ideas
- Whole wheat wrap with egg salad and baby spinach inside, and a mandarin.
- Whole wheat crackers, small can of flavoured tuna, and raw veggies and dip.
- Small high-fiber muffin, cottage cheese and a peach.
- Leftover pasta or rice from last night’s dinner, cubed ham and cheese, and cut up raw veggies. Put in a bowl and toss in your favorite dressing when you are ready to eat.
- Large Salad: mixed greens with your favorite veggies, chick peas (garbanzo beans) and a small multi-grain roll.
- Bean salad: red and green peppers, corn, black beans, cherry tomatoes, and your favorite dressing.
- Sandwich: 2 slices whole-grain bread, canned salmon with light mayo, mixed greens. Apple to finish.
Or, make your own. Here are some ideas from each component: simply choose from the list below, combine and there you go.
|Grain/starch||Vegetable and/or fruit||Source of protein|
|Bread (whole grain preferably)||Raw vegetables (celery sticks, carrots, broccoli, cherry tomatoes, etc.)||Sliced deli meat (ham, chicken, turkey, pastrami)|
|Pita (whole wheat preferably)||Fresh fruit (melons, bananas, apples, pears)||Seafood (tuna, salmon)|
|Rice (try wild, brown, basmati)||Unsweetened apple sauce||Yogurt|
There are many great combinations of food out there. Try some of these suggestions, or discover your own. You'll be an expert at making healthy lunches in no time!