World and national records or not, just like everyone else I sometimes struggle with motivating myself to get to the gym 3 to 4 days a week and give 120%. Training or exercise is time consuming, takes me away for other pleasures and it’s hard. But remember: that’s why they call it exercise!
In reality, it doesn’t matter how much weight you can lift, how many supplements you take, six-pack or no six-pack. Motivation affects us all and is the key element in every fitness program. It’s one of the key factors that contribute to why such a large percentage of people do not exercise regularly!
While there are thousands of books written on motivation and self help, the first and most important step in fitness is start or don’t quit. Sounds simple — but I know it isn’t.
If you’re just starting out, the following suggestions will help:
- Set a goal – any project or plan without goal will be a struggle
- Develop a plan to reach your goal – this is a must no matter what activity you enjoy
- Start small – if you are just starting set realistic goals
- Set interval goals and reward small short term accomplishments
- Create rewards that are pleasurable and away from your exercise
- Change routines and change often
- Develop a competition with yourself or a partner and relate back to rewards
- Chart progress so you can monitor and remember successes
If you are already exercising, try these tips to keep it up:
- Remember good days
- Remember the feeling of success and your pleasure rewards
- Focus on the big picture
- Withdraw during your routine
- Stay grounded but dream big
- Join a team or league if you are motivated by others and in a team or league sport
- Know what your urges are to quit and be aware of them
- Continue to mix things up
- Visualize your success
- If you get lost with mixing it up – get a coach
- Forget but expect bad days – remember no matter how poorly you perform or how bad your workout is do not quit it is not an option……. just walk away and think about a past success
Most of all remember: if it was that easy everyone would do it!
Get up, get started and don’t give up!
If you’ve already started, find enjoyment and just keep pushing on!