We all want this year to be better than last year! There is no better place to start then with you own diet. Let’s not forget – getting RESULTS out of your exercise program is 80% nutrition. Your diet is your choice – start making the healthy choices now! Here are 5 ways to detox with healthy eating after indulging over the holidays– if you are not currently eating this way… now is the time to start!
1. I will fuel my body with mini meals every 2-3 hours.
- Snacks should include a fruit or vegetable with a source of protein or healthy fat.
Example – apple with 1 tsp almond cashew butter or ¾ cup yogurt and an orange.
- Meals should include a lean protein, vegetables, a healthy fat and a complex carbohydrate.
Example – a plain salad for lunch is healthy – but it will leave you feeling starving in no time– instead plan a balanced salad including spinach, chickpeas (protein and carb) and avocado (healthy fat) – We can all eat a lot of pasta or rice if we do not add veggies and protein to increase the “full factor” -a balanced pasta dish would include whole grain pasta, chicken, cut up veggies and tomato based sauce.
2. I will monitor my portion sizes.
We live in a time where plates and servings are way bigger then they need to be! Always refer to your “handy portion sizer”:
- A fist – is approximately a serving of raw fruits and veggies (1/2 a fist if cooked)
- ½ a fist is a serving of cooked pasta or rice – watch out the average pasta dish has 6+ servings!!
- The tip of your thumb is a serving of fats and oils.
- 2 thumbs together is a serving of cheese – yes – that is all we should eat. The average person eats too much!!
- Your palm is a serving of protein.
3. I will moderate how much a drink my calories!
The holidays are over – so are the parties and the nights of indulging! Watch how much you drink – juices, sodas and speciality coffees can load a HUGE calorie punch and provide you little or no nutrients. They can also make you feel hungrier! Also watch out for the calorie free drinks which may dehydrate you if they include caffeine. Stick to water and your body will thank you – when you are hydrated you have more energy, think clearer, have a better complexion and feel better.
Great sources of protein include- lean meats, chicken and fish – however let’s not forget to include beans, lentils, nuts and seeds!
5. I will eat my 8-10 fruits and vegetables every single day!
They are jam packed with vitamins, minerals and antioxidants which will help you have more energy – feel great – live longer – and yes they will help you to lose those holiday pounds. Make sure they are fresh or cooked with little or no added fat or sugar. We all had enough of that over the holidays to hold us over for another year!
It is better to add to your diet then take away. These 5 detox tips will help you reduce the sugar, salt and fat in your diet that makes us feel terrible after the holidays. Eat outside of the box – choosing unprocessed foods more often. Remember – these are resolutions to live by – not just for January – but the whole year through. Your body will thank you!