Adapted from Giada de Laurentis’ salad.
This salad the perfect blend of light, refreshing, healthy and tasty. The sweet tartness of grapefruit pairs nicely with the onion and basil, and looks just delicious. It’s also ideal for entertaining, as it can be made ahead of time.
Note: it’s important to find fresh grapefruit for this salad – bright ruby red, not yellow.
- 2 grapefruits, trimmed of skin and cut into large slices
- 1/2 red onion, peeled and sliced
- 1/3 cup pitted chopped black olives
- 1 bunch basil, leaves thinly sliced (about 1 cup)
- (optional: replace 1/2 the basil with 1/2 a cup of chopped mint)
- 2 Tbsp chopped chives (can substitute green onion if you can’t find chives)
- 3 Tbsp aged balsamic vinegar
- 3 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
Place the grapefruit slices on a serving plate, overlapping them a bit. Arrange the onion slices over the grapefruit and sprinkle with the olives. Top with basil and chives (or mint and green onion, if using). Drizzle balsamic vinegar and olive oil over top of the salad. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Serve.
Makes 6 to 8 servings.
Per serving: Calories 105, Fat 8.0g, Sodium 144mg, Carbohydrates 9.0g, Fiber 1.5g, Sugar 1.0g, Protein 0.8g. Vitamin C (53.4% daily intake), Vitamin A (6.9% daily intake).