Childhood obesity rates are on the rise in Canada, but we can take action today to keep our kids healthy.
With proper diet and plenty of daily activity, kids can easily maintain a body weight that’s healthy for their age.
The key is to keep it simple & fun, and get the whole family involved. Remember, this is a lifestyle change, not a quick fix.
Try these 8 easy ways to get your family fit.
- Go for a family bike ride. Spring and fall are perfect times of the year to go for a family bike ride, as the weather is temperate and the colours of nature are vibrant.
- Plant a family garden and enjoy the fruits (and veggies) of your labour. Gardening is a great way to burn calories and to save money on your grocery bill. Plus, fresh fruit and veggies that you grow yourself always taste better because you worked for the result.
- Go to the local park and let your kids play. Bring a soccer ball or a frisbee and join in the fun. Don’t forget to bring Fido with you — dogs need exercise too.
- Plan family walks after dinner. Make a habit of getting some family exercise time in after you finishing cleaning up dinner. Don’t turn on the computer or TV right after dinner.
- Play sports together. Your children aren’t going to love every sport they try so try a different sport every week to keep it fresh and interesting.
- Get pedometers and see who can take the most steps in a week. Make it a competition and post the standings on your fridge or a chalkboard.
- Get your children involved in preparing healthy meals. This is crucial for helping your kids understand how to eat nutritiously when they are older. Encourage them to help you shop at the grocery store or farmer’s market. Every night before bed help them prepare lunch for the following school day.
- Turn to your kids for ideas. They’re pretty smart, you know.
These simple suggestions can turn time with your kids into quality time – making healthy memories (and habits) that will last a lifetime.